Ukraine: What Can We Do?
Many of us are seeking ways to help Ukraine and its people in a way that is impactful and transparent. Here is a list of reputable organisations that are asking for assistance. Donations can be made through the links to their websites or social media pages:
- Polish Humanitarian Action – helping the Ukrainian refugees to find shelter, provide food, clothes and legal support. This NGO has been operating for almost 3 decades in many war zones and in more than 40 countries all around the world.
- The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity – now focused on helping Ukrainian children, mostly by organising medical transports of seriously sick children and providing them with high quality medical care and shelter.
- UNICEF – supports health, nutrition, HIV prevention, education, safe drinking water, sanitation and protection for children and families caught in the conflict in Ukraine.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders – MSF runs a range of activities in Ukraine working with local volunteers, organizations, health care professionals and authorities to help people travel to health care facilities and access prescribed medications.
- Voices of Children – The Ukrainian organisation’s Charitable Foundation helps provide psychological and psychosocial support to children affected by the armed conflict, according to its website. Voices of Children’s efforts of support for kids include art therapy, video storytelling, providing mobile psychologists and even individual help for families.
- International Committee of the Red Cross – this Switzerland-based organization is aiming to help people affected by the conflict and support the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross.
- Save the Children – helps to deliver lifesaving aid to vulnerable children in Ukraine and around the world. According to its website, the organisation says it is on the ground in the U.S. and other parts of the world “delivering essential humanitarian aid.”
- UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) – aims to provide emergency assistance to families in Ukraine — providing aid such as cash assistance and opportunities for resettlement in the U.S.
- CARE – raising money for its Ukraine Crisis Fund, which will provide immediate aid including food, water, hygiene kits, support services and direct cash assistance. It says it will prioritise women and girls, families and the elderly.
- International Medical Corps – delivering primary health care and mental health services in eastern Ukraine since 2014, and is raising funds to expand those services for people affected by the latest conflict.
- Shelter for Ukraine – this simple website connects people who need help due to a war in Ukraine and those who are ready to provide it. You can offer shelter, transport, and other offers for help.